For applications received on or after July 1, 2017, Louisiana’s Motion Picture Production Tax Credit program provides motion picture productions up to a 40% tax credit on total qualified in-state production expenditures, including resident and non-resident labor.
The program is open to all motion picture production companies headquartered and domiciled in Louisiana for the purpose of producing nationally or internationally distributed motion pictures with total Louisiana expenditures exceeding $300,000, and $50,000 for local Louisiana productions meeting certain qualifications. Please visit www.louisianaentertainment.gov for more information.
- Provides up to a 40% tax credit (25% base credit; 10% increase for Louisiana screenplay productions, 5% increase if outside of the New Orleans Metro Statistical Area).
- $50,000 minimum in-state expenditure requirement for Louisiana screenplay productions.
- $300,000 minimum in-state expenditure requirement on all other eligible productions.
- The maximum amount of credits that can be issued is $150 million per fiscal year.
- The maximum amount of credits that can be claimed is $180 million per fiscal year.
- Tax credits may be used to offset personal or corporate income tax liability in Louisiana.
- Tax credits may be transferred back to the State for 90% of face value (requires a 2% transfer fee which results in an 88% net).
The Motion Picture Production Tax Credit is a state run program. All questions regarding the execution of the program should be directed to Louisiana Entertainment. They can also be reached at (225) 342-5403.